115th Annual ECA Convention
Submission Deadline: September 18, 2023, 11:59 PM PST
Click on Call for Papers to submit your abstract
In 2024, ECA ventures to Cambridge, Massachusetts for our 115th Annual Convention. Originally the site of the 2021 Convention, we are excited to be in this beautiful, newly renovated hotel on the banks of the Charles River, with spectacular views of the Boston skyline. The convention site is convenient to many of the Cambridge and Boston area attractions, including the Isabella Stewart Gardiner Museum and the Museum of Fine Arts, Fenway Park, Museum of Science, Faneuil Hall Marketplace/Quincy Market, and Boston Common.
2024’s convention theme is Currents, which represents our convention location the banks of the Charles River in Cambridge while serving as a metaphor for how ideas are the currents that shape our discipline in this contemporary moment. I encourage you to explore the currents of communication through questions such as:
- How do historical currents shape our current the terrain of the study of communication?
- How can the communication discipline move ideas and theories into a wider body of knowledge?
- How do theories currently shape the practice of communication?
- What communication ideas, topics, or concepts have currents worn down or created anew?
- How do we support our current students – undergraduate and graduate – in navigating their academic experiences?
- What kinds of impacts do current technologies have on communication pedagogy?
- What current trends and movements are changing the direction of teaching, learning, practicing, and theorizing communication?
The 2024 Convention also features the Connect Conference. The Community College Interest Group will be meeting at the 2023 Convention to begin planning this important event.
Please note the earlier submission deadline of September 18; this is to ensure a smooth timeline for planning a March 2024 convention.
I am looking forward to working with the 2024 Interest Group planners, my conference planning, team, and ECA leadership to creating an ECA Convention that explores the currents of the communication discipline!
Jeanne M. Persuit, Ph.D.,
University of North Carolina Wilmington