ECA 2023 - Call for Short Courses
Call for Short Courses
The 114th Eastern Communication Association Convention
Hyatt Regency Inner Harbor, Baltimore, MD
March 29 – April 2, 2023
Submission Deadline: October 16, 2022, 11:59 p.m. PST
Planner Email: Sally Vogl-Bauer – email@example.com
2023 ECA Short Course Planner: Sally Vogl-Bauer, University of Southern Indiana
Submission Format: ECA uses Attendee Interactive to manage submissions and reviews. This is the same system used by the National Communication Association so you may be familiar with it. The deadline for submissions is October 16, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. PST. All submissions must be uploaded through Attendee Interactive, which can be accessed at https://ww4.aievolution.com/eca2301. Please note that your Attendee Interactive login and your ECA Membership login may be different. If you do not already have an ECA Attendee Interactive account, you will be prompted to create an account with a new User ID and Password to submit your work.
What are short courses? Short courses are intended as training or hands-on informational sessions that can be presented in approximately 75 minutes. Short course topics may address (a) teaching innovations; (b) areas of research; (c) new theoretical perspectives; (d) application of a body of knowledge; (e) skill development; or other topics of interest to scholars.
Individuals are encouraged to incorporate this year’s convention theme “Harboring Innovation” into the design of their course proposals, whether this pertains to innovating the field, our scholarship, our teaching, or our outreach. How have we innovated and/or how we need to innovate to remain relevant, cutting-edge, and unique?
Submission Guidelines for Completed Submissions for Short Courses
- Title of the short course;
- Names, full addresses, email addresses, and affiliations of all presenters;
- A 100-150 word abstract of your short course (to be placed in the convention program); followed verbatim by the ECA Statement of Professional Responsibility recognizing that you (and your coauthors) have read and agree to the following statement: In submitting the attached short course, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a professional I/We agree to present this short course if it is accepted and programmed. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at ECA’s annual meeting must register and pay required fees
- A rationale and specific goals for the short course;
- An outline and description of short course activities;
- The target audience for the short course;
- A list of course objectives;
- Enrollment cap, if any;
- Preparation required by participants, if any;
- Equipment requirements (Note: Equipment availability is extremely limited and costly. As a result, this could play a role when programming decisions are made. Please see the ECA Policy on the use of Audio-Visual Equipment at conventions).
Convention Acceptance Notifications: January 2023
Any questions about short courses, and short course proposals should be sent via email (as Microsoft Word attachments) to Sally Vogl-Bauer at firstname.lastname@example.org. The proposal must be received no later than October 16, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. PST.