ECA - 2020 Convention - Call for Papers ... G.I.F.T.S
2020 CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: G.I.F.T.S. (Great Ideas for Teaching Students)
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: OCTOBER 15TH, 2019
111th Annual ECA Convention
Hyatt Regency Baltimore Inner Harbor
Wednesday, April 1 – Sunday, April 5, 2020
“Innovate”: To make changes in something established, especially by introducing new ideas, methods, or activities. To create transformation, revolution, metamorphosis. Our Baltimore Inner Harbor convention and the “Harboring Innovation” theme provide us with the opportunity to consider the lessons the city has to offer communication scholars.
In this spirit, I invite you to consider how you transform, renovate, and "innovate" the methods in which you connect students to the teachings of our discipline. G.I.F.T.S. should be authentic and unique activities, games, or simulations geared toward entry-level, undergraduate courses that you have successfully used in your courses. G.I.F.T.S. should be able to be completed in one class period or less and connect to specific communication skills, concepts, and/or theories relevant to the communication discipline. G.I.F.T.S. sessions are run like panels, with approximately eight panelists, each having five to seven minutes to present. All panelists are REQUIRED to bring a minimum of 30 physical, printed handouts to share with the audience.
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBMISSION
- Choose an authentic and unique “Great Idea” that you have successfully used in an entry-level, undergraduate course.
- Write a formal submission following the requirements below:
- A relevant, informative, and engaging title
- The course(s) for which it is intended
- The goals and objectives
- A rationale
- Clear and concise directions including:
- Any preparation/preliminary steps &/or materials needed
- An explanation of the connection to skills, concepts, and/or theories addressed
- Typical results
- How to debrief
- The submission should be 1-2 pages and include relevant references
- Submissions must include a separate cover page with the submitter’s full contact information and institutional affiliation
- Indicate any technology needs
- A statement of professional responsibility (see below)
Submit using Attendee Interactive. Questions may be sent to email@example.com
*Submission must follow these requirements or they will not be considered.*
Statement of Professional Responsibility
(The following statement must be included with every submission of a paper or panel in order for it to be eligible for review.)
In submitting the attached paper or proposal, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this panel or paper if it is accepted and programmed. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at ECA’s annual meeting must register and pay required fees.
G.I.F.T.S. Planner, ECA 2020