ECA - 2020 Convention - Call for Papers Reminder ... Philosophy of Communication Division
Call for Papers
Philosophy of Communication Division
111th Eastern Communication Association Convention
Submission Deadline: October 15, 2019 11:59 P.M. PST
ALL Submissions must be uploaded through Attendee Interactive:
The 111th Annual ECA Convention theme is “Harboring Innovation.” The submission deadline is Tuesday, October 15, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. PST. The convention will be held in Baltimore, Maryland at Hyatt Regency Inner Harbor on April 1-5, 2020.
The 111th Annual ECA Conference will be built around the idea of “Harboring Innovation.” The 2020 convention theme asks: “In what ways does our scholarship and teaching keep the field at the forefront of studying the powerful impact of public, private, and mediated messages on our relationships, organizations, communities, and the environment? What disruptions are communication scholars, practitioners, and teachers responding to with innovated theories, questions, methods, data analysis techniques, and practices? What opportunities exist for us to innovate with our research, service, pedagogy, and practice?” With these issues in mind, the Philosophy of Communication division welcomes completed papers and panel sessions that focus on themes rooted in philosophy of communication that intersect with the conference theme. How can philosophies of communication help us to innovate in response to the opportunities and disruptions present in the current environment? How can these philosophies of communication help to frame our interactions with others in public, private, and mediated contexts? How might philosophies of communication help us to focus on the convention theme – to question “how we have innovated and how we need to innovate?”
The convention features panels, round tables, short courses, and programming on the convention theme. Additionally, the annual James C. McCroskey and Virginia P. Richmond Undergraduate Scholars Conference (USC) will run concurrently with the convention. USC papers will be accepted through December 13, 2020, to enable scholarly student papers from the fall semester to be submitted.
The Philosophy of Communication division utilizes Attendee Interactive to manage all submissions. Please upload your submissions at the following link: https://ww4.aievolution.com/eca2001/index.cfm
Submissions should come in two attachments – a title page with full contact information and the remainder of the paper with no identifying author, school, faculty, or contact information; submissions format should be either .docx or .pdf and follow proper citation guidelines.
Submission of Completed Papers: Individual submissions of complete papers should include the following elements:
- A detachable title page with the title of the paper and the author’s affiliation, mailing address, telephone number, and email address. If the paper has multiple authors, please indicate who will be presenting at the convention.
- The word “Debut” marked on all papers written by authors who have not presented previously at a regional or national convention.
- A one-page abstract on the second page.
- A request for AV needs.
- A statement of professional responsibility on the second page.
Submission of Program/Panel Proposals: Submission of program/panel proposals should include the following elements:
- A thematic title for the program.
- Names of the chair and respondents (if any). Chairs should not also be designated as respondents.
- Names, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, and institutional affiliations of all participants.
- Titles and abstracts for each paper or presentation.
- A program copy (no more than a 75-word description) as it should appear in the final program.
- A detailed rationale for the program/panel.
- A statement of professional responsibility.
Meeting Room WiFi and Equipment: For the 2020 ECA convention, WiFi cannot be offered in all of the meeting rooms. You MUST indicate your need for WiFi/AV equipment in your submission. The Hyatt Regency allows conference participants to bring their own projectors, screens, laptops, etc.
Include the following Statement of Professional Responsibility with submissions:
In submitting the attached paper or proposal, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this panel or paper if it is accepted or programmed. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at ECA’s annual meeting must register and pay required fees.