2018 Calls for Nominations and 2018 Award Recipients
An important element of our organization is the recognition of our colleagues for their exceptional work and efforts. Please take a moment to read through the list of recipients from this past year.
We hope that you will also take a moment to review the criteria for each available award listed below and consider nominating yourself or an ECA colleague for an award.
2018 ECA AWARD RECIPIENTS
- Applied Urban Communication Research Grant: Caitlin Bruce
- Everett Lee Hunt Award: Jessica M. Fishman, Death Makes the News: How the Media Censor and Display the Dead (New York University, 2017)
- Past Officers' Award: Corey Liberman (Marymount Manhattan College)
- Article of the Year Award: Heather J. Carmack, Zoey Bouchelle, Yasmin Rawlins, Jennifer Bennet, Caterina Hill & Nancy E. Oriol, “Mobilizing a Narrative of Generosity: Patient Experiences on an Urban Mobile Health Clinic,” Communication Quarterly 65(4).
- Centennial Scholarship: Nicole Hudak (Ohio University)
- Research Fellows: Jason Edwards (Bridgewater State University), Sean Horan (West Virginia University), Scott A. Myers (West Virginia University)
- Teaching Fellows: Kristen Campbell Eichhorn (SUNY-Oswego), Anne F. Mattina (Stonehill College), Scott A. Myers (West Virginia University), Keith Weber (Chapman University)
2018 ECA STUDENT AWARD RECIPIENTS
Top Undergraduate Papers:
- Connor A. Myhre, Gustavus Adolphus College, "How Kennedy Carried His Cross"
- Hana Mokonuma, SUNY-Geneseo, "Performing Love Through Facebook Relationship Presentation"
- Jacqueline DeMuynck, Abeline Christian University, "The Feed that Feeds: A Rhetorical Analysis of @NourishAndEat's Body Positive Instagram Campaign and Its Effect of Self-Image"
- Olivia Giorlandino, Northeastern University, "The Bridging of Insults and Gender: An Analysis of Face Threats and Gender Schema on America's Next Top Model"
Top Undergraduate Panel:
- Lauren Gutman, SUNY-Fredonia, "Gotta catch 'em all: Donald Trump and Pokemon Synthesize to Capture the Cultural Climate of 2016"
- Shaunna Rospierski, SUNY-Fredonia, "Mermaids and the Rhetorical Situation: Plastic Pollution Is Part of Your World"
- Anna Booth, SUNY-Fredonia, "Comedians and Credibility: Using Dramatism to Analyze the Misinterpreted Controversy of Kathy Griffin"
- Andishey Simmons, SUNY-Brockport, "President Trump, White Supremacy and the NFL"
- John Schumacher, SUNY-Brockport, "Law, Order, and Racism"
- Ashley Chapman, George Mason University, "College Students’ Privacy Protection Behaviors on Snapchat”
- Thomas Monahan, SUNY-Fredonia, "Rhetoric of Guernica"
- Karli Jayne Miller, West Chester University, “Growing up coy: Objectification, Burke’s Dramatic Pentad, and a lawsuit on behalf of a transgendered child”
- William Kelvin, Kent State University, “Quiet champions of energy-wasting nags? Interpersonal advocacy of pro-environmental behavior in the workplace”
2018 ECA AWARD CALLS
The deadline for nominations for all awards is February 15, 2018, except for the Centennial Scholarships, which are due March 15. Please see the specific award descriptions for further instructions.
- Distinguished Service Award
- ECA Article of the Year
- Everett Lee Hunt Award
- Applied Urban Communication Research Grant
- ECA Centennial Scholarships (M.A./M.S. and Ph.D.)
- Ecroyd Teaching Excellence Award
- Past Officers’ Award
- ECA Research Fellows
- ECA Teaching Fellows
The Distinguished Service Award honors an individual ECA member for his/her contributions to the field of communication in general and to ECA in particular. A committee appointed by the President, who acts as chair, selects the recipient.
Nominations for the Distinguished Service Award must include: (1) a letter of nomination; (2) a copy of the nominee's current curriculum vita and (3) additional support materials as appropriate.
All nominations and materials should be sent by February 15, 2018 to ECA President Ben Bates at firstname.lastname@example.org
The ECA Article of the Year Award is presented annually to the most outstanding journal article published during the previous calendar year in Communication Quarterly, Communication Research Reports, or Qualitative Research Reports in Communication.
Nominations for the 2018 ECA Article of the Year Award must include: (1) a letter of nomination and (2) a copy of the article.
All nominations and materials should be sent by February 15, 2018 to ECA President Ben Bates at email@example.com
The Everett Lee Hunt Award is presented annually at the discretion of the ECA Committee of Scholars. The Hunt Award reflects the philosophic commitment and scholarly contributions of Everett Lee Hunt, one of the founders of the discipline of communication and the eighth president of ECA (1927-1929).
The nominee should have provided a major contribution to the understanding of rhetoric and communication as a human function in the contemporary world; a means of explaining and realizing public responsibilities beyond the discipline of communication; and/or an intellectual and humane instrument for merging diverse fields of knowledge in a way that infuses them with moral purpose and public significance.
The guidelines for the Hunt Award include: (1) the nominee must be a member of ECA at the time of nomination; (2) the nominee's published work (e.g., an article, book, position paper or monograph) must be dated in the previous calendar year; (3) nominations must be for scholarly (including creative) work.
Nominations for the 2018 Everett Lee Hunt Award should include: (1) a letter of nomination and (2) additional materials as appropriate.
All nominations and materials should be sent by February 15, 2018 to ECA Past President Jason Wrench at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Applied Urban Communication Research Grant is funded annually by the Urban Communication Foundation and given to foster and promote significant inter-disciplinary communication research contributions that extend the boundaries of "applied research" by investigating real-life communication phenomena affecting urban communities. The prize is to be awarded to fund the development of original research that meaningfully centralizes the concerns of everyday citizens and their struggle to define, identify with, and/or construct "spaces" for discourse and/or engagement within cities.
The recipient of the prize will receive a $2,500 grant-in-aid to be awarded to fund communication research related to urban communication. Nominees must be members of ECA. Nominees will be evaluated based on the potential impact of their work as well as the quality and rigor of their contribution. The award will be presented at the annual meeting of the Eastern Communication Association.
Nominations for the Applied Urban Communication Research Grant should include: (1) a cover letter explaining why the nominee is deserving of the award; (2) a 500-word description of the work the nominee plans to do, outlining the anticipated outcomes, intended mode of dissemination of the research as well as how the research will translate in such a way that it addresses urban community needs and/or concerns; (3) anticipated budget and timetable for completion of the project; (4) a copy of the nominee's CV; and (5) at least one supporting letter from someone well-acquainted with the nominee.
Self-nominations are encouraged. Nominees shall submit the nomination packet and send the materials by February 15, 2018 to ECA Past President Jason Wrench at email@example.com
Two ECA Centennial Scholarships may be awarded each year to one deserving Ph.D. student and one deserving M.A./M.S. student. The specific criteria for these awards include: (1) current ECA membership and (2) enrollment in a Ph.D. or Master’s program in Communication.
A committee consisting of the immediate past ECA president, the three ECA journal editors, and the current ECA president will work to select the recipients of the ECA Centennial Scholarships.
Nominations for the 2018 Centennial Scholarships must include: (1) a letter of nomination from the thesis/dissertation advisor attesting to the nominee’s student status and ability to conduct original research and (2) a 4-page/1500-word project summary from the nominee.
All nominations and materials must be sent by March 15, 2018 to ECA Past President Jason Wrench at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ecroyd Teaching Excellence Award is presented annually to recognize excellence in teaching. The specific criteria include: (1) ECA membership for five continuous years; (2) a full-time teaching position at any level of education at the time of nomination and (3) a demonstrated record of employing communication principles as the foundation for constructing pedagogical principles applied in teaching practices.
Nominations for the 2018 Ecroyd Award must include the following information: (1) a letter of nomination; (2) five letters of support; (3) a complete, current curriculum vita; (4) evidence of teaching competency and effectiveness for the last three years or more and (5) additional materials as appropriate.
The Ecroyd Award selection committee is composed of the past three winners of this award. All nominations and materials must be sent electronically by February 15, 2018 to past recipient and committee chair, Sara Chudnovsky Weintraub at email@example.com
The Past Officers' Award is presented annually by the past officers of ECA to an outstanding ECA member who has not been a past ECA officer. To be considered for the award, the nominee must: (1) be a current member of ECA; (2) be 10 to 15 years beyond the doctorate; (3) be a tenured faculty member; (4) have contributed a significant body of research to the communication discipline, and (5) possess a significant record of continuing service to ECA.
All members of the Past Officers' Club as well as members of the Association at large are encouraged to submit nominations. Nominations for the 2016 Past Officers' Award must include: (1) a letter of nomination; (2) a copy of the nominee's current vita; and (3) additional supporting materials (e.g., books, reprints of articles, additional letters of endorsement, or other appropriate information). (ECA past officers are ineligible for the award.)
All nominations and materials must be sent by February 15, 2018 to committee chair and Past President, Danette Ifert Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Research Fellow status may be awarded annually in recognition of distinguished research. The specific criteria include: (1) recognition of distinguished research in the field of communication; (2) the nominee must be a living member of ECA at the time of nomination who has been an ECA member for a minimum of ten consecutive years prior to the nomination and (3) a record of active and continuous service to ECA as manifested by such activities as an association officer, chairing an interest group, editing an ECA journal, etc. No more than 1% of the membership can be given this award in any given year.
Nominations for the 2018 Research Fellows must include the following information and materials: (1) a letter of nomination; (2) a complete and current curriculum vita and (3) additional supporting documentation of an outstanding record of research as appropriate.
All previous research fellows serve as the selection committee with nominations and materials sent by February 15, 2018 directly to the chair, Lynne Kelly at email@example.com
The Eastern Communication Association (ECA) is now soliciting nominations for "Distinguished Teaching Fellows" recognition. The teaching fellows program recognizes a distinguished career of teaching excellence in the field of communication and is limited to colleagues who have active and ongoing service to ECA. Potential candidates must be a living member of ECA at the time of nomination and have a minimum of ten years of consecutive ECA membership.No more than 1% of the membership can be given this award in any given year. There are no self-nominations for the "Distinguished Teaching Fellows" program.
Nominations for the 2018 Teaching Fellows must include the following information and materials: (1) a letter of nomination, current vitae, (2) up to five letters of recommendation, and (3) representative supporting materials that suggest at least ten years of excellent teaching activity (e.g., student evaluations, peer reviews, citations).
All previous teaching fellows serve as the selection committee with nominations and materials sent by February 15, 2018 directly to the chair, Danette Ifert Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org