ECA - 2020 Convention - Reminder Call for Papers ... G.I.F.T.S
2020 CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: G.I.F.T.S. (Great Ideas for Teaching Students)
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: OCTOBER 15TH, 2019
111th Annual ECA Convention
Hyatt Regency Baltimore Inner Harbor
Wednesday, April 1 – Sunday, April 5, 2020
“Innovate”: To make changes in something established, especially by introducing new ideas, methods, or activities. To create transformation, revolution, metamorphosis. Our Baltimore Inner Harbor convention and the “Harboring Innovation” theme provide us with the opportunity to consider the lessons the city has to offer communication scholars.
This is a Connect Conference year. As a reminder, The Connect Conference is a unique, half day conference on Thursday, April 2nd at Hyatt Regency Baltimore Inner Harbor Hotel during the 2020 ECA convention. The featured presenter is Dr. Isa N. Engleberg, Professor Emerita, Prince George’s Community College. This interactive conference will be focused on assessment of public speaking assignments and will offer valuable opportunities to connect with colleagues from near and far. Refreshments and beverages will be provided for attendees. More information can be found here https://ecasite.org/aws/ECA/pt/sp/convention_connect_conference
Additionally, Dr. Andrew Hayes, Professor of Psychology and Communication, The Ohio State University, will deliver the ECA Convention keynote, “From Graduate School to Retirement: Creating, Managing, and Refreshing a Meaningful Academic Career.” He will be speaking about how to manage our careers and find motivation and direction at various transitions. Dr. Hayes will also facilitate two half-day research workshops.
In the spirit of this years convention theme, I invite you to consider how you transform, renovate, and "innovate" the methods in which you connect students to the teachings of our discipline. G.I.F.T.S. should be authentic and unique activities, games, or simulations geared toward entry-level, undergraduate courses that you have successfully used in your courses. G.I.F.T.S. should be able to be completed in one class period or less and connect to specific communication skills, concepts, and/or theories relevant to the communication discipline. G.I.F.T.S. sessions are run like panels, with approximately eight panelists, each having five to seven minutes to present. All panelists are REQUIRED to bring a minimum of 30 physical, printed handouts to share with the audience.
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBMISSION
- Choose an authentic and unique “Great Idea” that you have successfully used in an entry-level, undergraduate course.
- Write a formal submission following the requirements below:
- A relevant, informative, and engaging title
- The course(s) for which it is intended
- The goals and objectives
- A rationale
- Clear and concise directions including:
- Any preparation/preliminary steps &/or materials needed
- An explanation of the connection to skills, concepts, and/or theories addressed
- Typical results
- How to debrief
- The submission should be 1-2 pages and include relevant references
- Indicate any technology needs
- A statement of professional responsibility (see below)
- Statement of Professional Responsibility
In submitting the attached paper or proposal, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this panel or paper if it is accepted and programmed. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at ECA’s annual meeting must register and pay required fees.
Submit using Attendee Interactive following the directions below:
- Select GIFTS as the Interest group.
- Enter your GIFTS title and select competitive paper. Click save.
- Select Yes to indicate you’re the author. Add any co-authors if needed. Click save.
- Enter a one or two sentence description of your GIFTS in the abstract section. Click save.
- Select the appropriate debut/non debut & student/non student in Categories. Click save.
- Indicate if you need A/V or Special Requests in Additional information or skip if not applicable.
- Upload your GIFTS following the submission requirements in a PDF or WORD file in documents. Remove identifying information from this document. Click save.
- Preview to double check your submission.
- Finalize your submission.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com
*Submissions must follow these requirements or they will not be considered.*
G.I.F.T.S. Planner, ECA 2020